Having a couple of days free, with the weather so bad neither I nor my wife have any desire to go outside in the, uh, “fresh” air, I decided to tackle the huge problem of getting all my previous articles into an archive section.
Actually, it’s a lot easier than I thought. I may even get it done today. After that, it’s just a question of filling in some of the blanks still remaining, and then uploading the brand-new site.
And hoping that everything kind of works properly.
It’s true, we’ve had white Easters before, and this is shaping up to be another one of those. But still, a pleasantly mild winter followed by a freezing cold spring is just wrong.
It would help, though, if the weather forecasts could agree on what we are likely to expect. One article promised bitter conditions with blizzards and snowdrifts — “more snow than we had in the entire winter” — and linked to a weather map which showed drizzle.
I’ll keep you posted.
It’s become a sort of a tradition, I suppose. We go out and about (whether and workload permitting) with the camera and I put together a little travelogue-style movie.
This is what this section is about. As new videos go online, they’ll be posted here. You’ll find some of them in the archive, from this site’s previous incarnation, but here’s an overview of locations featured in my “Day Out In…” series.
- Gelnhausen: An important trading town, connected with the legendary Barbarossa.
- Seligenstadt: A town on the river, boasting a fine basilica.
- Büdingen: Half-timbered houses in a state of neglect.
- Würzburg: Capital of Lower Franconia with an imposing fortress.
- Wertheim: A town on the border between Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg with a surprisingly boring history.
- Marburg: Built on a cliff, this city is probably one of the few in the world where public elevator is a viable way to get around.
- Sommerhausen, Ochsenfurt and Marktbreit: The area at the southernmost bend of the river Main has a pleasantly Mediterranean atmosphere. [High resolution version]
Hopefully soon we’ll be out and about again. As videos go up on YouTube, I’ll also post them here, perhaps with some extra information if I have it.
We haven’t made any specific plans yet, but Bamberg and Nuremberg are two possibilities which spring to mind. Also pencilled in is a trip down the Romantic Road, which takes in places like Augsburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Watch this space!
Can you relate to this?
The main reason for posting this is to make sure the code I put in for adding videos works. But it’s fun in its own right.
The new site design is going well, and although it’s not yet online (and unlikely to go online for a few weeks at least), I’m making a few posts all the same.
Briefly, then, this site is going to a be (hopefully) less of a pain to maintain than the old site. In particular, it’ll be more of a blog style site, so that I’m not committed to writing a full article every week, which turned out to be impossible. Instead, I can just write a few random lines and post them — bam!
I still have a long way to go with this design. The biggest to-do now is to archive all my old articles. That’s easier said than done, though, because I want to make sure all the old links still work, while rewriting the script. But it should be doable.